Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Broccoli & Butterscotch!

Well, since it's raining.....AGAIN.....I am sharing some yummy recipes with y'all today! I am working on a painting project indoors, but it's not finished, so I will share it tomorrow....hopefully!
Anywho, yesterday I went to my Aunt Loretta's house for a big family dinner with lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, and a few friends. We always have a great time visiting over some delicious dishes. My family is full of amazing cooks so when we all get together....it's a feast fit for a king! My contribution to the dinner was my famous and always requested Romaine Salad as well as a new cookie recipe, Black Bottom Butterscotch Cookies. 

Now....this salad isn't just an ordinary salad....it is the bomb diggity of salads and my favorite! 
The base is three different veggies.....romaine, green onions, and broccoli. Chop everything up in little bite size pieces and rinse it.


I always use my trusty salad spinner for this job. I got mine at the Goodwill a few years ago. It was like new and I only gave $3 for it I believe. They are normally around $30....so mine was a steal! I love this thing and it seems to make the veggies more crisp somehow. I put everything in the strainer basket, rinse thoroughly, and then place the basket inside the clear bowl, place the top on and give it a few pumps. It spins all of the water off....so no soggy salad!


Next I make my topping and dressing for the salad. The topping varies for me. It always includes toasted raamen noodles (they are heavenly toasted in butter and give the salad some crunch) and either toasted pecans or walnuts. Sometimes I put bacon in as well. I melt about 2/3 of a stick of butter and then toss the  broken raamen noodles (3 packages uncooked...do not use the seasoning) and nuts in it, spread on a cookie sheet and toast for 10-15 minutes of 375-400 degrees until the noodles are slightly golden brown. The dressing is made from red wine vinegar, vegetable oil, and sugar. I no longer measure anything for this dressing as I don't need to, but I would recommend 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup oil and then add more to taste if needed. It is a sweet and tangy dressing. I first dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and then add the oil. Shake it well before dressing the salad!


Here is the salad all ready to eat! It is so delicious y'all. I get requests for this almost every time I have a dinner to make a dish for. I would suggest not dressing the entire bowl if you make this for home. Just dip out a bowl of the greens and then put your toppings and dressing on so it doesn't get soggy. It's not good left over if it has all been mixed together. I got this recipe form a sweet lady at a youth rally years ago. She didn't have e-mail but I gave her my address and she mailed me a copy of it...so sweet!


Now....for something to satisfy your sweet tooth! This is a brand new cookie recipe I pinned and just had to try! They are called Black Bottom Butterscotch Cookies. One word.......Y.U.M.!!!
You can find the recipe here


I knew these were going to be tasty....just look at them!


This is where the black bottom part of the name comes from...:) Oh man....I got chocolate on my thumb...nothing to do but lick that off! After I finished of course...:)


And just look at these! I am a cookie connoisseur, and these are hands down, in my top five as far as taste and texture are concerned! They were delish and I will definitely make them again! Maybe I'll bake up some cookies for my kindergarten team when we go back to work!


Well folks.....that's all I got today! I hope you enjoy these recipes if you decide to try them! 
Have a blessed Monday and until next time.....

8 comments:

  1. Well I must say these recipes look really yummy! I never would have thought to put broccoli in with lettuce, so I must try this soon! And those cookies... oh my, talk about mouth watering yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great week!
    Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of that broccoli salad. I want some of those cookies! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, is it possible to gain 3 pounds from reading a post? Because I think I just did, lol. The salad sounds so yummy, and those cookies sound absolutely dangerously divine! I'm off to see your Victorian Violets teapot. Cottage Violets is my online shop, and I specialize in Hammersley mostly. I love most things English, especially the fine bone china.

    Blessings, Theresa @ Finding Grace, Going Mobile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great-looking recipes! I would love that salad, probably will try it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicky, No, I am not at the beach these were from May when we did get to Florida. My daughter lives down there. But the salad really sounds yummy, I like the fact you cut it up so small. I wish your family would adopt me:)
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicky! I came to your post via Amy's blog!

    How about this? Crumble the cookies and put them in the salad! How awesome would that be :)

    Nice to meet you!

    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I was a little worried before I started reading this...I thought the broccoli and butterscotch were going to be together. Like broccoli with a butterscotch sauce or butterscotch cookies with broccoli icing :) haha

    The recipes sound great. My hubby loves butterscotch so I will have to try your cookie recipe some time.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....